ROBSONHAZEL-1-London8 10 (2)

Going for Gold

A former Sunderland College student, and one of Britain’s most successful athletes, is preparing to compete in the London 2012 Paralympics, starting on August 29.

Hazel Robson, originally from Sunderland, and who turns 33 just before the games, has already competed and won medals at the last three Paralympics in Sydney, Athens and Beijing. Earlier this year she won silver in the 100m and bronze in the 100m relay at the IPC World Championships in New Zealand.

She competes in the T36 classification, for athletes with cerebal palsy. At London 2012 Paralympics she will be competing in the 100m, 200m and 4X100m relay.

Hazel studied at Sunderland College before going on to pursue her career in sport.

Hazel Robson said: “I’m really excited about competing in the Paralympics in London. It’s an incredible honour to represent my country on home soil, but I am a little nervous about the up-coming events. I will try my very best for myself and everyone in the UK.”

Nigel Harrett, acting principal of Sunderland College said: “To see any former student excel at their chosen career is incredibly satisfying, knowing that the college played its part in helping them achieve their dreams. But to be representing your country at the London 2012 Olympics is an incredible achievement, and Hazel will be a real inspiration to all of our existing students, especially those on sports related courses. We will be one hundred per cent behind her, cheering her on and hoping she achieves what she set out to.”

Date: August 20, 2012

Share with your friends
Most Popular News